The antecedent of the Department of Pathology was the Classroom of Pathology, College of Medicine, Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University, which established the first and second lectureship in 1936 and 1937, respectively.
After the World War II in 1945, it was renamed as Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, NTU. The Institute of Pathology and Department of Pathology, NTU Hospital were established in 1947 and 1954, respectively. The combined unit became a very special department that gave teaching, researches, and services.
The Ph.D. program was then established in Sep. 1969. Department of Forensic Medicine was separated from Department of Pathology in 1984. The Master and Ph.D. programs were each divided into groups A and B in 1989. The group A receives only medical and dental graduates, and the group B receives graduates of biology and paramedical fields.
The Department of Pathology, NTU Hospital was functionally divided into 5 divisions in 1994 and became 4 in the year 2000.
The teaching staffs have expertise in various clinical and pathological fields. We also emphasize the researches of pathogenic mechanism of diseases that frequently found in this country, molecular pathology, and tumor biology.
In these years, Department and Graduate Institute of Pathology already have fine reputation in the researches of hepatoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, lung cancer and other diseases. With these bases, we will develop translational researches from the molecular and cellular levels of tumorigenesis, the biological behavior of tumor cells and the drug resistance mechanism to the bedside applications.