Past Histories of Changes and Development
In 1895, the first year of Japanese governance over Taiwan, the Japanese government set up the Taipei Medical Center at Ta-Tan-Chan-Chian-Chiou Street (later renamed Taipei Hospital and is now known as the National Taiwan University Hospital), and instituted the Maternity Ward (now known as the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology) in 1898, thus beginning the history of obstetrics and gynecology in Taiwan. The following year (1899), the medical school of Governor-General House was established, and was restructured into a specialized medical school in 1919. In 1938, Professor Chen-Bin officially took charge of the Maternity Ward at Taipei Ti-Ta Medical School Subsidiary Hospital, and began specialized training for maternity wards in Taiwan in a fashion similar to receiving tertiary education. At the end of the World War II in 1945, the government of the Republic of China overturnedthe Japanese government's dominance over Taiwan. Professor Shi-Yun Chiou accepted the order to takecharge of Ti-Ta Medical School Subsidiary Hospital, and he became the first Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the medical school of the National Taiwan University. In 1950, the medical school of the National Taiwan University underwent major reforms, which abolished assistant instructors and set up the resident system. In 1951, the neonatal care unit was established and was managed by pediatricians. Formerly, ObGyn doctors cased for neonates. These two changes were major reforms at the time, which indicated a change in the hospital institution from a German and Japanese system to an American system.
In 1970, Professor Shi-Yiao Chen revolutionized the medical society in Taiwan by being the first person to use ultrasound as an imaging technique to aid in the diagnosis of disease during pregnancy. Later on, other departments also became involved in ultrasound-related diagnosis and research. Therefore, it would not be dishonorable to call Professor Chen the Father of Ultrasound in Taiwan. At the end of 1970, advances in test-tube babies and other fertility technology was phenomenal, and this department was in way behind. The infertility unit delivered the first test-tube baby at this hospital in 1986, and the first baby from a frozen embryo in 1989. Cervical cancer is the most common in Taiwan females and its treatment has always been an important part of daily activities in this department. In 1968, Dr. Bin-Yian Wai, Head of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, ordered a cervical cancer surgical group to be formed, which provided professional treatment even to poor patients.
Currently, our department has developed to gynecology, obstetrics and reproductive endocrine divisions, and focused on the training of specialist physicians. It is hoped that the sub-special divisions provide better clinical services and researches in the field. In the direction of precision medicine of gynecological cancer, comprehensive maternal-fetal care, cutting-edge reproductive technology, our goal is to become the world's first class Woman Health Medical Center!