|Title:||Colony site choice of blue-tailed bee-eaters: Influences of soil, vegetation, and water quality||Authors:||HSIAO-WEI YUAN
Brent Burt, D.
Wang, Lee Ping
Wang, Ming Kuang
|Keywords:||Blue-tailed bee-eaters | Breeding ecology | Colonial breeding | Habitat selection||Issue Date:||12-Jun-2006||Publisher:||TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD||Journal Volume:||40||Journal Issue:||7-8||Start page/Pages:||485||Source:||Journal of Natural History||Abstract:||
All bee-eaters (Family Meropidae) are cavity nesters, excavating terrestrial burrows in sites ranging from flat ground, to small mounds of soil, steep earthen banks seen in road clearings, eroded cliff faces, and river gorges. However, very little is known concerning the environmental factors that influence nest site selection in bee-eaters. We addressed abiotic and biotic issues associated with colony site choice in blue-tailed bee-eaters ( Merops philippinus ) nesting on Kinmen Island, off mainland China, from 2000 to 2002. About 89% of the colonies were located on slopes with soils of sandy loam and the other 11% on sandy clay loam. No colony was found on clay loam, which covered 20% of the island. The sandy loam and sandy clay loam had lower soil pressure, density and moisture, which, presumably, were easier for bee-eaters to excavate and provided better drainage and ventilation for nest cavities. Bee-eaters avoided placing nest cavities in areas with dense vegetation and abandoned colony sites when they became overgrown. Vegetation would impede excavation and decrease the detectability of predators. Bee-eaters may prefer colony sites near water bodies showing water chemistries indicative of more biological productivity, especially in relation to the diversity and abundance of their major prey, dragonflies. © 2006 Taylor & Francis.
|Appears in Collections:||生物環境系統工程學系|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.