|Title:||Treatment outcome of the teeth with cemental tears||Authors:||Lin H.-J.
|Issue Date:||2014||Journal Volume:||40||Journal Issue:||9||Source:||Journal of endodontics||Abstract:||
INTRODUCTION: A cemental tear is a special type of surface root fracture noted in combination with periodontal and/or periapical bony destruction. We hypothesized that clinical characteristics and treatment techniques may affect the prognosis of teeth with cemental tears.METHODS: Treatment outcome for the teeth with a cemental tear was assessed in a multicenter cemental tear study project. Of the 71 teeth with cemental tears, 38 teeth (53.5%) were extracted. The remaining 33 teeth (46.5%) were examined for a treatment outcome of healed, questionable, or failed.RESULTS: Outcome assessment found that 51.5% (17/33), 42.4% (14/33), and 6.1% (2/33) of teeth were classified as healed, questionable, and failed, respectively. Additive bivariate analysis indicated a significant difference between treatment outcome and the length (P = .01) and apicocoronal location (P = .02) of the separated root fragments. Logistic regression analysis found that treatment technique and apicocoronal location of cemental tears may affect the treatment outcome. The percentage of healed cemental tear cases located in the apical, middle, and cervical third of roots was 11.1%, 66.7%, and 60.0%, respectively. By surgical management, 57.7% of cemental tears were healed, whereas only 28.6% cases were healed after nonsurgical treatment.CONCLUSIONS: Most teeth with cemental tears can be retained to function by nonsurgical and surgical periodontal and endodontic treatment. Clinical diagnosis and treatment of cemental tears should also consider the apicocoronal location and the type of treatment technique to improve outcomes. Copyright ? 2014 American Association of Endodontists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
|ISSN:||1878-3554||DOI:||10.1016/j.joen.2014.05.012||metadata.dc.subject.other:||aged; alveolar bone loss; bone transplantation; cementum; clinical trial; cohort analysis; debridement; dental scaling; female; human; injuries; male; middle aged; multicenter study; Periapical Diseases; periodontal guided tissue regeneration; periodontitis; procedures; root planing; surgery; surgical flaps; tooth apex; tooth cervix; tooth extraction; Tooth Fractures; tooth replantation; tooth root; treatment outcome; very elderly; Aged; Aged, 80 and over; Alveolar Bone Loss; Bone Transplantation; Cohort Studies; Debridement; Dental Cementum; Dental Scaling; Female; Guided Tissue Regeneration, Periodontal; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Periapical Diseases; Periodontitis; Root Planing; Surgical Flaps; Tooth Apex; Tooth Cervix; Tooth Extraction; Tooth Fractures; Tooth Replantation; Tooth Root; Treatment Outcome
|Appears in Collections:||臨床牙醫學研究所|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.