Department of Anthropology, National Taiwan University was first established in 1928 as a “course on the study of local peoples” (土俗人種學講座) in the Department of Politics at Taipei Imperial University during the Japanese era. In 1945, Taipei Imperial University was renamed as “National Taiwan university (NTU)” and at the same time, the “course” was also renamed as “Institute of Ethnology” (民族學研究室) under the Department of History in the College of Liberal Arts. In 1949, the institute re-established as “Department of Archaeology and Anthropology” in theCollegeofLiberal Arts. In1956 aMaster program course was built, and in 1982 the department renamed again as “Department of anthropology.” In 1997, a Ph.D. course offered. At this point, the Department of Anthropology, NTU became the first academic institution inTaiwanto offer a full program of anthropological study from undergraduate to PhD.