|Title:||Independent Association of Uric Acid Levels with Peripheral Arterial Disease in Taiwanese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes||Authors:||TSENG, CHIN-HSIAO||Keywords:||peripheral arterial disease;risk factor;Taiwanese;Type 2 diabetes;uric acid||Issue Date:||2004||Journal Volume:||v.21||Journal Issue:||n.7||Start page/Pages:||724-729||Source:||DIABETIC MEDICINE||Abstract:||
Aims Hyperuricaemia may be a risk factor for atherosclerotic disease. Its association with peripheral arterial disease ( PAD) has not been studied in Taiwanese patients with Type 2 diabetes. Methods Uric acid (UA) levels and PAD were evaluated in 508 Taiwanese outpatients with Type 2 diabetes( 210 men, 298 women; mean age +/- SD, 63.8 +/- 10.6 years). PAD was diagnosed when the ankle-brachial index was < 0.9. Patients with an ankle- brachial index of greater than or equal to 1.3 were excluded because of possible medial arterial calcification. Potential confounding variables with P < 0.10 were adjusted for in multivariate analyses. Results In univariate analyses, UA levels were higher in patients with PAD than in those without PAD (345.0 +/- 95.2 vs. 309.3 +/- 89.2 mumol/l; P < 0.0005). Prevalences of PAD for quintiles of UA levels were 6.8, 8.9, 10.2, 13.1 and 16. 5%, respectively (P-trend < 0.05). With UA level as a continuous variable, the multivariate-adjusted odds ratio ( 95% confidence interval) for PAD was 1.005 (1.001-1.008) (P< 0.01). The optimal cut-off point for UA as determined by the receiver operating characteristic curve was 264.7 mumol/ l. The sensitivity and specificity at this cut-off point was 82.6 and 33.3%, respectively. The area under curve was 0 .60(95% confidence interval: 0.53-0.68). The multivariate- adjusted odds ratio for PAD for UA above this level was 2. 736 (1.239-6.043) (P < 0.05). The results after excluding 56 cases using diuretics were similar. Conclusions Elevated uric acid level is a significant and independent risk factor for PAD in Taiwanese patients with Type 2 diabetes.
|Appears in Collections:||醫學系|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.