|Title:||Influenza vaccination reduces dementia risk in chronic kidney disease patients: A population-based cohort study||Authors:||Liu J.-C.
|Issue Date:||2016||Publisher:||Lippincott Williams and Wilkins||Journal Volume:||95||Journal Issue:||9||Source:||Medicine (United States)||Abstract:||
Taiwan has the highest prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) worldwide. CKD, a manifestation of vascular diseases, is associated with a high risk of dementia. Here, we estimated the association between influenza vaccination and dementia risk in patients with CKD. Data from the National Health Insurance Research Database of Taiwan were used in this study. The study cohort included all patients diagnosed with CKD (according to International Classification of Disease, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification codes) at healthcare facilities in Taiwan (n = 32,844) from January 1, 2000, to December 31, 2007. Each patient was followed up to assess dementia risk or protective factors: demographic characteristics of age and sex; comorbidities of diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, cerebrovascular diseases, parkinsonism, epilepsy, substance and alcohol use disorders, mood disorder, anxiety disorder, psychotic disorder, and sleep disorder; urbanization level; monthly income; and statin, metformin, aspirin, and angiotensinconverting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI) use. A propensity score was derived using a logistic regression model for estimating the effect of vaccination by accounting for covariates that predict receiving the intervention (vaccine). A time-dependent Cox proportional hazard model was used to calculate the hazard ratios (HRs) of dementia among vaccinated and unvaccinated CKD patients. The study population comprised 11,943 eligible patients with CKD; 5745 (48%) received influenza vaccination and the remaining 6198 (52%) did not. The adjusted HRs (aHRs) of dementia decreased in vaccinated patients compared with those in unvaccinated patients (influenza season, noninfluenza season, and all seasons: AHRs=0.68, 0.58, and 0.64; P<0.0001, P<0.0001, and P<0.0001, respectively). In the sensitivity analysis, adjustments were made to estimate the association of age and sex; diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension, cerebrovascular diseases, anxiety disorder; and statin, metformin, ACEI, and aspirin use with the incidence of dementia in various models. A stronger protective effect against dementia risk was demonstrated during the noninfluenza season. Regardless of comorbidities or drug use, influenza vaccination was an independent protective factor and dose-dependently reduced the risk of dementia in CKD patients. Influenza vaccination exerts dose-response and synergistic protective effects against dementia in CKD patients with dementia risk factors by reducing the incidence of dementia. Copyright ? 2016 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
|ISSN:||0025-7974||DOI:||10.1097/MD.0000000000002868||metadata.dc.subject.other:||acetylsalicylic acid; dipeptidyl carboxypeptidase inhibitor; hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor; metformin; influenza vaccine; adult; aged; alcohol abuse; anxiety disorder; Article; cardiovascular disease; cerebrovascular disease; chronic kidney disease; dementia; demography; diabetes mellitus; disease association; dyslipidemia; epilepsy; female; human; hypertension; incidence; influenza vaccination; major clinical study; male; mood disorder; parkinsonism; prevalence; priority journal; psychosis; risk factor; seasonal variation; sensitivity analysis; sleep disorder; substance abuse; urbanization; very elderly; cohort analysis; complication; dementia; middle aged; Renal Insufficiency, Chronic; Taiwan; Aged; Aged, 80 and over; Cohort Studies; Dementia; Female; Humans; Incidence; Influenza Vaccines; Male; Middle Aged; Renal Insufficiency, Chronic; Risk Factors; Taiwan
|Appears in Collections:||毒理學研究所|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.